Mature dating apps are coming of age

Mature dating apps are coming of age

Is your new year's resolution to find true love? If so, you may well be considering a dating app for your phone. Thanks to trailblazers like Tinder, online dating has gone mainstream. And mature daters want in on the action too.

Lorna is 62 and lives in Edinburgh where she works as a PA. She is a divorcee with children and grandchildren and is still looking for love.

"You come home from work, you want to be talking to someone about your day, it's good for your mental health," she explains. "It's the reason why I'm still dating at my age."

But it becomes harder to meet potential partners as you get older, she says. "For women of my generation you can't just walk into a pub by yourself, because that sends a certain message."

She became an early adopter of dating apps like Tinder, drawn to the way you can build up a rapport privately through messaging, before committing to meet in person.

It was exciting rather than frightening, publishing her profile for the first time, she remembers.
She has met some lovely people, but the experience also left her feeling uncomfortable.

"I was often approached by people much younger than me, people that are the age of my children. I found that creepy and unsettling. I didn't even like the thought that they've looked at my profile."
So the idea of a dating app that was age-restricted appealed to her. She tried signing up to one called Lumen, which is for over-50s. It's just one player in a growing market for mature daters.

Source: BBC

No comments:

Post a Comment